Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Rocky Road to Homeschooling

I think there may be as many journeys into homeschooling as there are families. Maybe more if you count the sometimes different journeys that moms, dads and children take. Some families homeschool because they've known homeschoolers and were impressed by what they saw. Some feel called to homeschool. Some don't like the idea of classrooms in general. Others are escaping a particular school situation but plan to return to school at some point.

I was thinking about these different journeys while I was reading a post by Harmony Art Mom. She is one of my favorite homeschooling bloggers, who has some rich resources in art and music appreciation as well as nature study at her other blog, Handbook of Nature Study. She has already graduated one child, has a couple in high school and one more right behind. So I thought it was interesting to read her description of how she started homeschooling. I think that the biggest take away point for me was that she didn't know everything or have a plan for every bit of the way when she started out. But she did decide that she was capable of doing her best and that her best would be an improvement for her kids. It is easy to look at where she is now, with systems in place for school work and incredible results and think that I'm not capable of that. But it really is largely about keeping your eye on the goal and just keeping on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Birds of Yokosuka--updated links

This is an older post, but I noticed that some of the links are broken.  I am unable to update the original post, so here is a new one.  I...